A few simple practices could help to prevent damage and contamination of your oil and grease:
- Error-proof the system by color coding and labeling the lubricants.
- Store in a climate-controlled environment.
- Store in a clean environment to prevent ingress contamination.
- Use the FIFO (First-In, First-Out) principle for usage, as lubricants do have a shelf life.
- Verify lubricant baseline to ensure product compliance standards.
- Do not use open-top containers. Use only sealed containers for storage and transportation.
- If storing in drums, ideally store in the horizontal position on racks.
- If storing drums upright, bungs must always be kept tight and drum covers should be used.
- Always filter new oil.
Visit our Knowledge Center and download our OIL & GREASE STORAGE BEST PRACTICES Infographic. Perfect to print and hang in your storeroom!
Thank you to Lubrication Engineers for their help with this blog/Infographic!
Reliability by Ana Maria Delgado, CRL