A few simple practices could help to prevent damage to your spare bearings:
- Label bearings by type, size, bearing number, and date stored.
- Label shelves in accordance with in-house MRO guidelines.
- Maintain constant temperature and relative humidity.
- Store in a clean environment to prevent ingress contamination.
- Use oldest bearings first (FIFO).
- Use sealed bearings within 5 years of manufacture date.
- Keep bearings in their protective packages until ready to use.
- If removed from factory packaging, cover with a clean lint-free rag.
- Lay them on a flat surface (possible deformation if hung or standing on the side). Flip periodically.
- If the bearing is dropped, do not put it back on the shelf (do not use it!)
- Store bearings in a vibration-free environment.
Visit our Knowledge Center and download our BEARING STORAGE BEST PRACTICES Infographic. Perfect to print and hang in your storeroom!
Has your Equipment Been Condemned to Death? Bearing Storage Part 2 of 2
Reliability by Ana Maria Delgado, CRL