SHAFT ALIGNMENT FOR ROTATING MACHINERY
This course delivers comprehensive knowledge of the principles of machinery shaft alignment and the various methods to measure and correct alignment, with emphasis on laser shaft alignment technology. It features the latest LUDECA tech notes, methods, and information. It is designed for millwrights, repair technicians, supervisors, and engineers who must become proficient in alignment techniques, correct soft foot problems, troubleshoot complex alignment problems, and/or instruct others. The course is an intensive mix of hands-on practice and in-depth instruction in alignment methodologies. Functionality, features, and applications are covered extensively.
Learned things that you would never get in a book but only from someone with a lot of field experience. Every alignment that I’ve done since we went to this class has been done in 3 moves or less. If I would’ve followed Step 1, they would’ve been 2 or less.
- Importance of machinery shaft alignment to improve asset reliability and reduce safety risks
- Preparing for the Alignment Task
- Machine, Foundation, and Base Preparation.
- Required tools for the task
- Shims and shimming best practices
- Shaft Alignment: Principles, Practices and Methodology
- Understanding and visualizing alignment geometry.
- Understanding alignment tolerances and tolerance formats.
- Requirements for repeatability
- Machinery Alignment Problems
- Gross Misalignment: coupling strain & shaft deflection
- Becoming bolt-bound and base-bound.
- Soft Foot
- Measuring Soft Foot: Principles and Objectives.
- Diagnosing and Correcting the Soft Foot problem.
- Measuring the effects of pipe strain on shaft alignment.
- Target Specifications and Thermal Growth
- Alignment Applications
- Setting up on spool pieces, spacers and jackshafts.
- Aligning multiple machines in a train
- Vertical Flange-Mounted Machines
- Cardan Shaft Alignment (optional)
- Documentation and reporting
- Student’s special interests or problems.
Student should have some experience with the alignment system and should preferably have some field experience in alignment.
Learn at our Training Center in Miami
Classes are limited to 10 participants. We furnish classroom facilities, training materials, training simulators per student. It is recommended to bring your instrument, if available. Our training coordinator will be happy to provide scheduling information, registration forms and assistance with hotel accommodations, car rentals, etc.
Classtime: 8:30am – 4:30pm (Lunch included)
BRING US TO YOUR FACILITY
Onsite Group Training
We can bring this class to you, classes are limited to 6 participants. You furnish an instrument to be used in the training course, a classroom with a large erasable marker board, 4 color markers, a projector and projection screen. We furnish two additional instruments, three training simulators* and all training materials.
*Equipment rental available. Contact us or call us at (305) 591-8935 for pricing.
See our Alignment Training Schedule for our Regional or our Miami Training Center classes.