April 18, 2017
- Most electrical cabinets are not hermetically sealed. Scan your ultrasound detector around the panel sides and ventholes to detect discharges like arcing, tracking, and corona.
- Not all electrical discharge faults produce heat. Use ultrasound solutions to hear what your infrared camera cannot see.
- Electrical discharge activity is amplified by high humidity. When performing ultrasonic scans at substations make note of the date and weather conditions.
- Ultrasound travels directionally through air compared with audible sound. When scanning from a distance therefore, it is important to inspect electrical systems from all sides.
- Corona discharge produces no heat on electrical systems below 240 kV so don’t rely entirely on infrared to find problems.